Lezioni yoga online

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Video killed the Radio?

We had an old Mivar radio in the kitchen when we were kids and we would have our breakfast with the radio news on. At the time I thought there was only one station we could listen to, and that was the one chosen by our mother, never to be changed. Then the TV came and the news started coming on video instead of on-air.
Did the radio disappear from our lives? Not at all. My sister and I put some money aside (probably just her, she always had some, I was desperately penniless) and bought a cassette recorder and radio all-in-one. Recorded music was fine, but the number of stations you could choose from... we were not into big national radios, but mostly into local stations. The small ones. The ones you would call to leave a message and place a request for a song. And better not to be too picky because they had a limited number of records available!

The radio never left me. At university, I convinced my flatmates to buy only Granarolo products (milk, mainly, but also mozzarella and yogurt)  and collect the points so that after a while we could get our prize, a mini stereo - with a karaoke function... . And the radio station we were listening to was always RTL. My flatmate V called me once from her house on the other side of the border and said "Bastarda, adesso ascolto RTL anche qui dai miei!". It was clearly contagious.

The first thing I bought when I had my own apartment was a stereo...with radio. And since I was in China already, started listening to Radio China International because they broadcast international music, especially in the morning when I need the radio to start my day. And with the computer I can still get my daily ratio of   RTL at www.rtl.it    My mornings are nights for the djs or early mornings. And they ask the simpler questions and get the craziest, funniest answers from the people who call in to tell their experience or their opinion or just to say hi. You could even "see" the djs because the radio is also on video now - power of technology! Oh, but the beauty of driving your car and listening without seeing, just following voices you don't want to put a face with because it would lose the magic.

Like in the movie "Frankie and Johnny", where the radio and the radio voice reconcile the two lovers. Wouldn't be the same with a tv on, would it?

No comments: