Lezioni yoga online

Saturday 3 September 2011

From Levanto to Monterosso


There is a walk you can take from Levanto to Monterosso. My friend A. has been telling me about it for some years now. You will see the sea from a distance and you will walk up and down the hills on a path that - take my word for it - you don't want to take with children or people who would complain every two steps.
I was talking about my plans yesterday and my beach neighbour told me it would just take more than an hour to walk from Levanto to Monterosso. And also added that I needed proper walking shoes to do it. While some friends bet I'd probably wear high shoes, I started off my journey with my  Prada flip-flops. All the other walkers I met along the way had proper shoes, walking sticks, proper clothes and backpacks. I was neatly dressed in Max&co. 3/4 trousers plus Puma shirt, and had a shoulder bag I use for almost everything, from shopping to going to the beach.
It actually takes 2 hours to walk the distance, and not because of my flip-flops: signals along the way say so and "the others" also confirm it. My beach neighbour probably never took the walk.....
Most of the people I met on the path were either German- or English- speaking. But they all would proudly make a point of greeting other people on the way  with the Italian "Buongiorno". Only the French would stick to their Bonjour.
It's quite an enterprise, but I was very happy when I finally reached Monterosso. You actually feel like you have accomplished something. Do not get scared when mid-ways you find a plaque commemorating poor professor Maier who died along the path, most of the people actually make it. Alive. 

No comments: