Lezioni yoga online

Monday 13 August 2012

City beasts

I thought the only beasts in town were the few laowai who didn't escape for tropical or at least cooler places than Beijing - and of course, the usual, eternal taxi drivers - praise the Lord.
Well - as often lately - I was proved wrong.
I was sitting by myself in a quiet place taking a quick bite at my home-made calzone - the place was quiet just because it's by a wall very similar to a concentration camp, with barbed wire on top, no matter the wooden chairs and tables and the green striped umbrellas, which will soon collapse under the weight of the silent army of ants and the flying army of mosquitoes (probably anopheles, but I will make some research about it). In short, it's the typical place where you can go and be sure nobody will come and chat you up. You are not so sure to come out of it alive, but still...
So, I was there sitting blablabla when I saw a movement just next to the wall by the bamboos. I thought it must be a mouse (ants, mosquitoes, mice: they usually come all together like in the Bible) and steel myself for it. But here was a nice long furred animal, small in size, with a cute face and clever eyes. It stopped not far from me, sniffed the air in my direction and then disappeared either in the earth or over the wall. I sort of resented not having an iPhone to take a shot of it and show it around. Anyway, the visitor was a weasel (Latin name: Mustela sibirica) and it looks like it's quite common in Beijing, especially in the hutong areas. In Chinese, its name translates into something like "yellow mouse-wolf", do not ask me why. Some Chinese also maintain that seeing one brings good luck.... let's hope for the better then!

No comments: