Lezioni yoga online

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Heavenly Palace and Earthly Mistakes

Some articles these days have reported the Chinese launching their Tiangong-1 and the CCTV (the Chinese state run television) releasing a video of the launch with the soundtrack of "America the Beautiful". Some people think it a weird choice, and most of the comments I have read so far just explain the choice as a "in your face!" gesture - from the Chinese to the Americans. Notably America did not want to include China in the space program 8 years ago.
Let's keep it simple. It was a mistake. They didn't know what the lyrics meant. How do I know? Well, when I arrived here some years ago I was astonished: I would listen to the radio or walk down elegant department stores full of foreign brands and what would they play in the background? "Olele', olala', faccela vede', faccela' tocca'" (rough translation: olele', olala', let us see your pussy, let us touch your pussy). Now, had they really known what it meant, they wouldn't have played it so publicly, would they? To them, it was just nice rhythm, good background music. And I think that with the Tiangong-1 the explanation is about the same.

No comments: