Lezioni yoga online

Sunday 15 July 2012

Hot yoga fever

I have been practicing hot yoga for more than one year now. It has been very beneficial for my health: no more back and neck pain, and mentally beneficial too. I am not a yogaholic, meaning that I practice once per week, but still, I am quite proud of having found finally some kind of sport activity that I like.
Starting April this year I began having some problems with my practice, though. About 4 hours after my class, I had fevers, shivers, muscle contractions. Since I was practicing mainly on Saturday afternoon, I christened my symptoms "Saturday night fever", thus easing a bit the worry that of course I felt about this condition.
I searched the Internet for answers to my doubts, and found out I was not the only one to have that kind of experience. There are entire forums on the Web dedicated to this kind of problem. Funny that nobody could provide a solution.
I have apparently found one. I started thinking back to what had changed in my life, what I was doing different and what the symptoms were telling me about my body. I have always been one to drink very little. Hot yoga teaches me that water is very important. If you do not drink enough before the class, you will not stand it. If you do not drink enough after the class, you will not replete the water you have lost during practice. I started thinking that my symptoms were actually very similar to the one you can experience with dehydration, for example at high altitudes and tried my solution starting from the assumption that water was the answer. So yesterday after class I drank as much water as I had drunk before class in a very scientific way because I know that I do not feel the thirst so I kept drinking even though I had no stimulus.
Good for me that the experiment worked out pretty well: no fevers, no shivers, no muscle pains and contractions. Otherwise, yesterday would have been my last class!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nearly four hours exactly for me, too! Now I don't feel so crazy. Good to hear increased water consumption worked for you. I will try the same!

Li Jiao said...

I am sorry that you are having the same problem, but glad if I can help find a solution. I have "perfected" my water consumption routine, so I drink a lot before class but not in the immediate hour before it and I drink a lot after class and keep drinking until I feel some stimulus to urinate.
The "a lot" means around 1.5litre.
I am no doctor, but this has worked for me... I have never experienced the fevers again.